Dutch Poffertjes

Tesselaar Tulip Festival
Sept 13 - Oct 9 2012
Website

Tesselaar Tulip Farm, 357 Monbulk Road Silvan, VIC 3795
Date visited: 24th Sept 2012

We went to the Tesselaar Tulip Festival yesterday.  Entrance is $18 for adults and $15 concession, but $10 for everyone on Mondays.  

The tulips were magnificent.  Their colours were brilliant - these photos were not photoshopped at all.







Okay, as the title suggests, this post is not about the tulip farm, so I'll stop posting photos of inedible stuff.  

Now I remember coming here years ago during my teens and besides the gorgeous tulips, know what else I remember?
Dutch Poffertjes!  Still there like I remembered!  I told MerlinFan even before we reached the Tulip Farm that I was going to get myself some of those poffertjes.  Poffertjes are traditional Dutch small, fluffy pancakes and are served usually with sugar and butter.  
Signboard even tells you how to pronounce Poffertjes LOL
Reminds me of takoyaki =P
I waited in line for about 20 minutes for these!  We had one with maple syrup and one with strawberry.  Besides the Poffertjes stall, they also had other snacks in the Tulip Farm, like croquettes, baked potatoes, sandwiches, pies and of course tea and coffees and wines.
Our snacks - poffertjes and we got some beef croquettes and a potato pancake too
Poffertjes with icing sugar, butter and maple syrup $6.50
These tiny pancakes were yummy with melting butter and maple syrup.  Last time we were here it was ridiculously windy so our icing sugar kept flying off like powder XP
Poffertjes with icing sugar, butter and strawberry $6.50
I liked the maple syrup one better.  The strawberry sauce was just sweet rather than tangy like how real strawberries ought to be.

A nice, tasty treat to end a day out.


0 comments:

Post a Comment